#29 - Dr. Douglas Korver: The gut microbiome: a key player in immune functionMar 14, 2023
The gut microbiome of birds plays a crucial role in maintaining their overall health and performance. Since its development is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, diets, and exposure to pathogens, understanding those factors is essential to promoting gut health. In this episode, Dr. Douglas Korver discusses the role of the gut as an immune organ, aspects that affect the immune function, and the impact of antibiotic removal on the gut microbiome.
What you’ll learn:
1. How the removal of antibiotics affects the gut microbiome
2. How feed can impact immune system function
3. The impacts of changing the macro ingredients on gut microbiome
4. Factors affecting the development of the gut microbiome
5. How to select a probiotic feed additive
6. Genetic components of the immune system
7. Hot topics in layer nutrition
Meet the guest
Dr. Douglas Korver
○ Current: Assistant Professor of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science at the University of Alberta.
○ Ph.D., Nutrition (University of California, Davis)