#30 - Dr. Jon Moyle: Better safe than sorry: the role of biosecurity in poultryMar 21, 2023
Poultry diseases can lead to significant economic losses for producers and health risks for both birds and humans. This is why biosecurity is crucial in poultry production: it is what makes maintaining healthy flocks and market access, along with preventing the spread of diseases, possible. In this episode, Dr. Jon Moyle discusses his experience with biosecurity measures and improvements in the process of building more robust poultry production.
What you’ll learn:
1. Combating misinformation about poultry on social media
2. Preventing and responding to unauthorized farm visitors
3. Using a line of separation to improve biosecurity
4. Biosecurity tips for small flock growers
5. The value of small backyard flocks
6. Alternative litter materials for broilers and sustainability
7. Working with international small flock growers
Meet the guest
Dr. Jonathan "Jon" Moyle
○ Current: Poultry Specialist at the University of Maryland
○ Past: Assistant Manager of a turkey farm (also managed a pet food supply company for his family)
○ Ph.D., Poultry Science (University of Arkansas)
○ M.Sc. (University of Arkansas)
○ B.S. (Brigham Young University)
Hobby: I like working with small flock growers in developing parts of the world and making crafts.
Favorite quote: "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." – Dwight Eisenhower
A tip for success: Enjoy what you do.
Connect with our guest on Social Media: LinkedIn